The East Penn School District has been closely monitoring developments regarding the COVID-19 virus and prevention measures. The health and safety of our students, staff, and community is always our top priority. At this time, there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the East Penn School District.
The East Penn School District administrative team has been meeting on an ongoing basis to ensure we are prepared in the event that this directly impacts our school community. While the risk of contracting COVID-19 is considered low, we want to provide regular updates to you on what the East Penn School District is doing to maintain a healthy learning environment for our students and staff.
- Facilities- Halo fogger disinfection system is being utilized in larger areas such as our libraries, main offices, auditoriums, and computer labs.
- Facilities- Our custodial staff continues the frequent sanitization of high- touch areas, including door knobs, railings, desktops student chairs, toilets, soap dispensers, toilet flush handles, faucets, sinks, water fountains, paper towel dispensers, light switches, handles, buttons, sanitary receptacles, countertops-reception, lids, push bars and nurses offices.
- Buses- All vehicles used to transport students by STA are cleaned using a machine that applies a disinfectant to the inside of the vehicle. This application is done on a regular basis.
- Absences-We are currently tracking absenteeism. Classrooms that have a high volume of absent students will be frequently and thoroughly disinfected and sanitized.
Although we are working hard to disinfect and sanitize our high-touch areas, we realize that closing our schools might become necessary based on recommendations from the PA Department of Health or PA Department of Education. Our administrative team is solidifying provisional plans should COVID-19 significantly impact our school community.
We ask everyone in our school community to continue to adhere to the following, as recommended by the PA Department of Health.
- Cover coughs or sneezes with your elbow. Do not use your hands!
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand
sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Clean surfaces frequently, including countertops, light switches, cell phones, remotes, and
other frequently touched items.
- If your child is sick and running a fever, defined as a temperature greater than or equal to 100
degree Fahrenheit, please keep them out of school until they are fever free for 24 hours
without using fever reducing medications.
Our Department of Student Services will be monitoring absenteeism for students returning from international travel to ensure that CDC return from travel guidelines are being followed before returning to school. If your student has recently traveled internationally, we ask you to adhere to the following:
Individuals are to self-report to the Pennsylvania Department of Health at 1-877-PA-HEALTH:
- If their child has recently returned from a country that has a Level 3 travel restriction in place
as defined by CDC – Travel Restrictions.
- If they believe their child has been exposed to someone who has COVID-19.
We ask that if the Department of Health requests that your child be placed in self-isolation that you contact the Director of Student Services at 610.966.8372 to discuss next steps.
We will continue to keep you updated regarding developments. Please visit the resource links below for more information regarding COVID-19.
Superintendent of Schools