I’d like to welcome you back to the 2016-2017 school year! The first day for students is Monday, August 29. We’re looking forward to another exciting school year. Here are some enhancements and changes that have taken place in the areas of curriculum, technology, facilities, and personnel.
- Four new courses added to EHS: Introduction to Engineering Design, Principles of Engineering, AP Psychology, and Global Science Inquiry
- New literature and writing portions of the English and Language Arts curriculum being piloted in both middle schools
- New elementary writing program being piloted
- Elementary science committee completing curriculum revisions aligned with Next Generation Science Standards
- Elementary report card committee comprised of staff and parents convened to examine report card revisions
- Full Day Kindergarten committee comprised of staff and parents convened to begin research phase
- Each kindergarten class outfitted with 10 iPad minis to support instruction
- Expansion of wireless coverage at EHS
- Teacher websites being migrated to new Google site system
- 14 new Chromebook carts purchased
- EHS Tech Education department infrastructure and equipment revamped for new Project Lead the Way curriculum
- New parent email notification system installed that will deliver emergency information at much greater speed
- EHS classrooms renovated to support new STEAM curriculum
- New diving platforms and 5 year maintenance of swimming pool at EHS
- Digital cameras installed at EHS, Eyer, LMMS, and Lincoln to enhance security and safety
- Flooring replaced at EHS, Jefferson, LMMS, and Wescosville
- New cooling system replaced at Jefferson
- Masonry repairs made at Wescosville and EHS
- LED lighting installed Macungie, Shoemaker, Lincoln, and EHS to reduce energy consumption
Personnel – New Hires:
- As a result of attrition, 3 new administrators, 36 new teachers, and 20 new support staff hired
- An SRO was hired by the Emmaus Police Department to serve full-time at EHS. This is a joint partnership between Emmaus Borough Council and East Penn Board of Education.
This year the district’s educational focus for improvement will be in two broad areas:
- Student Assessment: The district will continue to examine the quality and quantity of both formative and summative assessments and make improvements where needed.
- Technology: The Technology Committee has completed a technology plan which will be shared with the staff and community in the Fall. The district will now move forward with implementing this plan.
East Penn School District is a district that strives for excellence. The entire staff prides itself on keeping programs relevant and the curriculum current. We are honored to educate your children and look forward to another exciting and productive school year.