Troubleshooting Tips from the Technology Department
We wish to continue to support our students and families during our school closures. Please reach through some of these troubleshooting tips compiled by the Technology Department, which may assist you with your EPSD-issued device. Although we may not be able to offer in person support at this time, we are hoping that some of these tips will be helpful to our students and families.
Local Covid Response from Cellular and Internet Providers
Please view this document in order to see what our local and national partners are doing to assist our students and families.
iPad Troubleshooting Tips (Grades K-5)
- What do I do if my iPad is frozen?
- A hard reset on the iPad is needed
- Hold down the power button and home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. (Approximately 10-15 seconds)
- A hard reset on the iPad is needed
- What happens if I cannot connect to the internet?
- Make sure that you are connected to your home Wifi. Go to settings > WiFi in order to check if there is a checkmark on your home WiFi. If not, connect to it.
- What do I do if I missed the iPad loaner distribution?
- At this time, the district is closed. We are awaiting further notification regarding the re-opening of buildings due to safety and health concerns.
- You can access iReady and many of the other programs that are needed through the Clever portal on a different device.
- The iPad is logged into someone else’s Google account. What do I do?
- Go to Google Classroom or Google Drive and find the student icon in the corner. Tap on the icon, and then tap on “Manage accounts on this device”. Next, Remove the other account from the device and enter your own credentials.
- Students sharing iPads can add more than one @eastpennsd.org account to Google Classroom.
- A brief video tutorial can be found here. The same process would be used for Google Drive.
- How do I log in with Clever?
- Clever can be found in the Self Service app and downloaded.
- If you don’t have your badge, you can email your teacher OR you can search for your school and Log in with Google (@eastpennsd.org email address and password).
- The portal can be accessed by clicking here. Click here to view portal screenshot.
- Why does my iPad seem to be slower than usual?
- You may have too many browser tabs open. Make sure to keep browsing tabs to a minimum. Open Safari, on the top right hand corner, click on the icon that looks to have two papers overlapping. Exit out all browsing tabs
- Close apps on a regular basis. Press the home button twice, swipe up apps that are open.
- You may have to close out of any existing Clever tabs to restart a session if you are getting an error.
Chromebook Troubleshooting Tips (Grades 6-12)
- Why does my Chromebook to log me out every time that I close my lid?
- This is normal. Your Chromebook does not need repair.
- The setting for Chromebooks in grades 6-12 is set to log out on lid closure. This setting included an erase on logout to ensure policy updates and security while students are at home.
- What do I do if my Chromebook will not power on?
- Chromebooks enter a state called “Deep Sleep” if allowed to die completely. It may take 24 hours of charging consistently to recover from this state. Connect the charging adapter to the left charging port. If still unresolved follow steps below.
- Hold the Power button, the Esc button, and the Refresh circle arrow button down for 5 seconds. The white light on the left side of the chromebook right next to the Power button will turn on. Wait until you see a flash drive and a memory card on the screen on the chromebook. Then just press and hold the Power button until the chromebook shuts off. Press the Power button again to turn on the chromebook.
- Can I get my EPSD-issued Chromebook or iPad repaired?
- With our facilities closed at the current time there is no current ability to offer repair times. This may change in the future as we hear more about local, state, and federal regulations.
- Why does my computer say “Offline”?
- Check to make sure the chromebook is connected to your home wifi.
- Try turning the wifi off and then back on to re-establish the wifi connection.
- I keep getting redirected to a blocked website, what should I do?
- Clear your browsing data on a regular basis
- Remove any non school related extensions and apps
- Check settings for changes in default Search engine or Home page
- Restore settings to original defaults by clicking Advanced in Settings and scrolling to the bottom
- What should I do if my Chromebook says “Lost or missing OS”?
- Try restarting the device, if still an issue hold down “Power” and “Refresh” at the same time. If problem continues report to technology
- Why does my Chromebook install apps and extensions each time that I log in?
- Chromebooks are managed by East Penn School District and are currently set this way to ensure the latest updates and applications are installed.
- What do I do if I receive notifications that I should not be receiving?
- If you are receiving explicit notifications on the Chromebook. Please copy the web address of the sites and email to the technology department so that they can be blocked. Next, restore settings to original defaults by clicking Advanced in Settings and scrolling to the bottom.
- What should I do if my charger is not working?
- Check all connections.
- Try a different outlet
- Try the other port on your device if there is one
- My trackpad is not working
- Try restarting chromebook
- Use an external USB mouse