EMMAUS HIGH SCHOOL
“Every child is a different kind of flower, and all together, make this world a beautiful garden.”
- Today is Tuesday, March 26, 2019, Schedule Day 1.
- Study hall and pre-signed passes are welcome during all periods today.
- No Place For Hate awareness/casual day is Monday, April 1st.
- Habitat for Humanities will meet on Tuesday, April 2nd after school in room 513.
- If you have lost anything recently, please stop by the Main Office to check the lost and found. Any unclaimed items will be donated on Tuesday, April 2nd. Please note, lost lunch boxes and water bottles, can be found on the landing underneath the stairwell in the cafeteria.
- The next GSA meeting will be held after school in room 360 TODAY. Join us as we plan our Day of Silence Activities!
- The next Buzz Magazine meeting will be Wednesday, March 27th at 2:30 p.m. in the Learning Lab. This is a full club meeting.
- Emmaus will be held Wednesday, March 27th, from 7:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. in the Emmaus High School auditorium.
- The EHS Counseling Office is pleased to announce that we will be taking interested Juniors on a field trip to Temple University and Ursinus College on April 12th. Students will hear from Admissions representatives at both schools, take a tour of each campus and have lunch in one of the dining halls at Ursinus College. Transportation and lunch will be provided and there is no fee to register. Seating is limited so if you would like to join EHS Counselors on this trip, come to the Counseling Office to get more information, receive a permission slip and to register. Permission slips will be due to the Counseling Office by March 27th. Should you have any questions about this opportunity, please see your Counselor.
- Attention Seniors: The local scholarship list is now available and were distributed during Flex Block on Wednesday, March 6th. Students can pick up applications in the Counseling Office. The deadline to return ALL completed scholarship applications is Friday, March 29th – NO exceptions!
- Attention Juniors: Would you like to take a course at Lehigh University for free next year? Any student who will be a senior next year is welcome to apply for the competitive High School Scholars program. Successful students will be able to take a free class at Lehigh for the fall semester. Successful students in the program are often invited to take a second free class in the spring semester. Application deadline is April 10th. Please see Mrs. Greene in the Counseling Office for details.
- The Facilities Department is accepting applications for summer maintenance employment. If you are interested, please apply as soon as possible. Applications are available in the main office and/or guidance office of Emmaus High School. Applications are also available on the East Penn School District Website. Criminal/child abuse checks are mandatory for all new applicants.
- March is Career Readiness month! The EHS Counseling Office is pleased to offer Career Speaker Visits throughout the month. Students are invited to meet with professionals from a wide range of industries (everything from arborists to engineers to cyber security) and learn more about potential careers. The full list of speakers can be found in Naviance and on the EHS Counseling website, as well as posted around the school. Interested students should sign up in Naviance for each speaker. Please see the EHS Counseling website or your counselor for details!
- Students: If you plan to take Spanish 3 or higher next year and are interested in traveling to Spain during Easter Break 2020 there is still time to enroll! Stop by and see Señora Hess in room 332 or Señora Ardito in room 235 for information.
- Attention class of 2020. Please sign up for the Class of 2020 google classroom by entering the code i633ql6 in google classroom. If you are having trouble joining the class, please stop by either room 419 or 426 for assistance.
- Game Club meets on Tuesdays after school in room 523!
- Mud Club will meet every Tuesday. All are welcome, come check us out in room 520 after school.
- The Young Democrats Club is meeting every Wednesday after school in room 310. All are welcome to come and join in open discussions.
- Anyone that would like to purchase a yearbook, please go to balfour.com now.
The following Career Speakers are scheduled during the week of March 25. Students interested in attending the visit may sign up through Naviance.
Tuesday, March 26 @ 9:00, PPL, Katelyn Arnold: Katelyn Arnold is currently a Financial Analyst in our Treasury group. She has been in her current role for one year and held a position in business operations for about a year prior to being hired at PPL. She graduated from Lafayette College in 2017 as a double-major in Government & Law and Economics and was a member of Lafayette’s Division I field hockey team. As a college student, she had two summer internships at PPL. She is planning on continuing her education by pursuing an MBA beginning in the fall.
Tuesday, March 26 @ 10:40, PPL , Janelle Keeney: Janelle Keeney is the Health Services Manager at PPL Electric Utilities Services in Allentown, PA. She has been with PPL for 9 years and worked in other HR related roles prior to that. In her current role, she provides oversight for implementation and day-to-day management of strategies, programs and processes that relate to health related benefits (ADA, FMLA, SICK leave, Workers Compensation). Janelle graduated from Cedar Crest College in 1999 and attained her MBA from Moravian College in 2013. She currently resides in Lehigh Township with her husband, Josh and daughter, Autumn.
Tuesday, March 26 @ 11:30 am, PPL, Eric Boyer
Tuesday, March 26 @ 1:00pm, Red Robin, Zach Bodnarchuk & Laura Palermo: Laura Palermo, Manager of Restaurant Training has been with the Lehigh Valley Restaurant Group (LVRG) for 5 years. Zach Bodnarchuk, Manager of Talent Acquisition has been with the company for 4 years. Laura and Zach will be discussing many different full and part time career opportunities in the restaurant industry and specific to Red Robin.
Wednesday, March 27 @ 9:36, Kelly Cars, Greg Kelly: Mr. Kelly is currently the President and senior partner of the Kelly Automotive Group. He graduated from Allentown Central Catholic in 1979 and Georgetown University in 1983. He joined his family’s automotive company in 1986 and worked in several company’s dealerships over the next 8 years. He started buying dealership in 1994 and now oversees the entire Kelly Automotive Group in both Pennsylvania and Florida. Mr. Moyer is currently the Service Director and a partner at the Kelly Automotive Group where he has worked and managed for the last 31 years. Mr. Moyer was born and raised in the Lehigh Valley and has been in the automotive industry for 41 years. He currently serves on the board of directors for the Greater Lehigh Valley Auto Dealers Association and is the Associations Chairman of the Education Committee.
Thursday, March 28 @ 12:12, RL Reppert, Inc., Ric Reppert: R.L. Reppert is a company that provides partitions, framing, ceilings and insulation.
Friday, March 29 @ 9:00 am, WeDiscoverGeeks, Kat Mahoney: Kat Mahoney is the Owner of WeDiscoverGeeks and a STEAM and Video Game Educator with over 20 years in STEAM, Video Game Education and Media Reviews. She attended Hawaii Pacific University for Computer Science where she assisted upcoming companies in developing a web presence while teaching business owners how to integrate technology and online marketing. Afterwards Mrs. Mahoney became a Network Adminstrater for an Architectural Design Firm working with Architects, Engineers, Draft Designers, and Construction managers on developing a $30 million dollar Casino Resort. Currently Ms. Mahoney is a video game beta tester and works with game developers and innovative visionaries on building STEAM Careers in Video Games and Social Media. She is an Author of over 6 published books and Speaker at many conventions, her most recently published “A Savvy Moms Guide to Parenting Generation Z” for parents raising kids in the digital age. Mrs. Mahoney has been a speaker and educator working side by side with prestigious world renowned STEAM professionals, game developers, and educators throughout the world; including Microsoft, Lockheed Martin, Wilmington University, DaVinci Center, ArtsQuest, the Baum School of Art, and several independent game developers. Topic of Discussion: Behind the Screen: STEAM Careers in Video Games.
Friday, March 29 @ 1:00pm, DeSales University, Dr. Amy Scott: Amy Scott is an associate professor of business at DeSales University. Professor Scott has her BA, MBA and Ph.D. Her doctoral studies in economics included concentrations in public finance and international economics. She teaches Economics of Public Issues, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, and Personal Finance at the undergraduate level and Economics and Managerial Finance at the MBA Level. Her research includes several economic impact studies. She is also a financial advisor with series 7 and 66 licenses and has a textbook forthcoming fall 2020 with Bradley C. Barnhorst entitled Managerial Finance.