“Every child is a different kind of flower, and all together, make this world a beautiful garden.”
Today is Monday, October 19, 2020.
- Attendance Tip: ESTABLISH A ROUTINE AND GET A GOOD NIGHT’S SLEEP – By establishing a routine and getting a good’s night sleep you are more likely to reduce your stress levels, improve mental health, increase predictability during an uncertain time, and increase your productivity. Getting a good night sleep strengthens learning and memories; the more you learn the more you need to sleep and it is critical in achieving school success and contributes to consistent attendance. (Want more info or support with this? Contact your CIS Site Coordinator, Mrs. Williams – firstname.lastname@example.org)
- There will be a Computer Club/ACSL Club meeting Thursday October 22 starting at 2:00. Zoom link and passcode are on the Schoology group resource page. Schoology code: 8TJH-4G87-5XF6G Please email Mrs. Brashear (email@example.com) or Mrs. Stoudt (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
- The Spanish Club will be selling face masks made by local artisans in Oaxaca, Mexico. The face masks have different colors and designs, including the Day of the Dead themes and other designs. To order, please use this link fhttps://forms.gle/mrF5ZUqL688ZznVa7orm. We have a limited supply! Each face mask is $13.00. Some of the proceeds will benefit local artisan women in Oaxaca, México. See the pictures in the form to see the different designs that you can order from. Your order can be picked up in room 236 or we will deliver them during the advisory period. We will send an update once the order has arrived.
- Looking for a platform to share your art? Submit your pieces for the upcoming fall EHS Student Gallery, “Autumnal Nights”! The show will encompass all art that fits into a Darker Fall theme. To submit your art which can include paintings, drawings, sculptures, collages, or even functional pieces, send a high-quality photo of your work through this Google Form: https://forms.gle/D7L4Czfx2Kbxzqqv9. All artwork is due by today, and the show will start on October 30th and will run for two weeks. Hope to see your work in the gallery!
- For those students interested in learning more about the EHS Mock Trial team and competition, please join us for our second introductory meeting held on Tuesday, October 20th at 2:30 pm via Zoom. At that time, you will meet the club advisor, Mr. Brown, the club officers and past competition team members. The 2021 competition rules will also be announced and published! Make sure to join the Mock Trial Schoology group (23RV-CMDC-B5F5T) where you will find the Zoom link, meeting agenda and answers to frequently asked questions.
- Last call for participants for this year’s fully online National Math Contest. These 30-minute math contests consist of 6 questions designed to challenge students and encourage deeper mathematical thinking. Your results could even earn you national recognition for your mathematical achievement. The first test will be Tuesday, October 20th. If you are interested in participating and have not yet registered, please email Mrs Kinzel at email@example.com by today to get registered.
- Originally scheduled for September 29th, the Economics and Investment Club will hold its first meeting on Tuesday, October 20th at 2:35 via Zoom. Club activities will include a stock portfolio competition and guest speakers. In the spring, we will enter a state wide stock competition in teams of 3-5. The Schoology access code is W3RS-WFMF-T4M5V.” Any questions, email Mr. Parish (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Will you be 18 on or before November 3rd? Are you registered to vote? Maybe you’re already registered but you have some questions. Check out the Activism club’s EHS VOTES 2020 reference site https://sites.google.com/eastpennsd.org/ehsvotes2020/home for information about how to register, where to vote, mail-in voting, helping out at the polls and much more. Let your voice be heard. Go Vote!
- Registration for the Advanced Placement exams will begin on October 1, 2020 and continue through October 30, 2020. Students should complete the registration form to sign up for the AP exam for the class/classes they are taking this year. Directions for registration are included with the form located on the East Penn Website.
- Interested in art and writing? Want to be part of a student literary and art publication? The Collage Club is meeting at 2:30 on Tuesday via zoom. Please check the Collage Schoology group for the zoom invite. The Collage access code is M8XT-KXG6-SXBMV. All are welcome.
- History Day Club is up and running for the 2020-2021 school year. Any student interested in joining History Day Club should join our Schoology Group using this code: B44D-HR4N-96VD2
- If you have any questions, please email Mrs. Montero.
- October is national bullying prevention month. We want to raise awareness to promote kindness, acceptance, and inclusion for all. Please join us on Wednesday, October 21st to celebrate Unity Day by wearing orange. To learn more about bullying prevention and unity day, please visit www.pacer.org/bullying.
- ATTENTION STUDENTS Grades 10-12 : The ASVAB Military test will be held on Tuesday, October 27th. Deadline for registration is Friday, October 23rd. Session 1 – 7:30AM / Session 2 – 9:45AM. Two sessions are being held due to COVID; Session 1 will be filled first followed by the second (if needed). This test also provides great feedback for non-military students and it’s FREE! Email Jkillo@eastpennsd.org or email@example.com to sign up. Questions? Email Mr. McInerney at firstname.lastname@example.org
- No Place for Hate is calling for all current or new members to join our Schoology page, so we can regroup, schedule a Zoom meeting, and select officers and projects for the 20-21 school year. Please join at 3N3Z-X8QD-MTJ6G, and reach out to Mrs. Larkin or Mr. Harkness if you have any questions. Slarkin@eastpennsd.org; BHarkness@eastpennsd.org
- Calling all snowsports lovers – EHS Snowsports Club – has a Schoology Group. Please join the Access Code is VBB2-B82X-9BR4F.
- Habitat for Humanity will meet after school every other Tuesday during a zoom meeting. The access code to join the schoology group is VK38-9G9S-C5WHM. The zoom link is in the group.
- Art Club meets every Tuesday at 2:30. We work to create art for personal purposes and the community. Some of our activities include portfolio prep and critique, maintenance of the student run gallery, and designs and artwork creation for other clubs and groups. Use the code FWB6-RZ2K-G85NJ to join our schoology group and access the Zoom link.
- Mud Club!! If you like to play with clay, we have a club for that. And if you like to help out those who cannot afford to eat right in your own community, our club does that. Mud Club meets every Tuesday after school. No experience necessary. Join Zoom Meeting Link https://eastpennsd.zoom.us/j/81189742724 Passcode: 141662
- Are you interested in science? Do you want to know more about what is going on in the Universe above your heads? Join the Astronomy Club! The club has meetings every Tuesday starting at 2:30 and you are welcome to join us to find out “What’s up”. Schoology Code: PTRZ-73RP-PF8MD
- The Spanish Club is having virtual cooking shows. Students are preparing Spanish or Latin Dishes in our meetings. Our meetings are on Wednesdays. Everyone is welcome to join the club. Use this code to join: 5XMC-MSJW-TKDCM
- The Young Republican Club is having meetings EVERY THURSDAY at 2:35pm. All are welcome to join at anytime. A great group to get involved with if you’re passionate about conservative politics. The Schoology code is V7KF-3XNJ-J65F7. See you then!! #trump2020
- Are you passionate about making change in our community and/or country? Then get involved with the EHS Activism club! Our club aims to promote activism within the community and provide opportunities for social and political engagement. EHS’s Student Activism club will be begin holding meetings every other Thursday, beginning 9/24 @2:30 p.m. For more information contact Mrs. Kinzel email@example.com and join our Remind (code @ehsactivi ) to receive the ZOOM link for our meeting.
- Science fair is a go this year! If you are interested in putting your passion for science or engineering into a project that may earn you fame and fortune, contact Mr. Landrum at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are interested in getting involved in our Theater Department here at EHS, please join our Theater Department group on Schoology, code 4GHW-J9CJ-Z3KQB to access an application form and for information about our fall production and upcoming events.
- The Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) is up and running this year! Please join our Group in Schoology by using the access code: R4X2-Z946-5Q8SR. Join and find out what we’re all about.
- The Hornet’s Nest school store is open for email/pickup orders for any outside students, parents or community members. Website and Instagram info below for weekly sales/events, and communication.
- IG- @ehs.schoolstore Website: https://jespenshade.wixsite.com/hornetsnest
- Attendance Fact: Attending class everyday teaches you how to become a responsible citizen by being reliable and accountable. It also sets the stage for responsible behavior in the workplace which correlates to financial success later in life.
- Why does attendance matter? – Students are more likely to succeed in academics when they attend school consistently. It increases your likelihood of keeping up with daily lessons and assignments. Research shows it is the greatest factor influencing your academic success! Keep an eye out for the weekly Attendance Matters facts and tips from your CIS Site Coordinator.
- Attendance Tip: REDUCE DISTRACTIONS – One of the biggest challenges of online learning is the number of distractions available when you’re working from home. Social media, pets, TV, household chores… these are the distractions that lead to procrastination. If you can’t seem to focus while learning from home, try finding a quiet place in your home to help you stay on track. Put your cell phone on silent or turn it off during class or while you are studying.
- The U.S. Secretary of Agriculture recently announced the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) will provide special school meal funding for all students through December 30, 2020 or until federal funding for this program is exhausted.
- Starting Monday, September 14, 2020, East Penn School District will offer a FREE breakfast and FREE lunch to each student who chooses to receive a meal. Students in both the fully remote and hybrid learning options may take advantage of this special federally funded meal option.
- Fully Remote Students – Students enrolled in the fully remote learning option should complete the “Fully remote learning meal order form” located on the district website: Departments >> Food Service >> Coronavirus Meal Information.
- Hybrid Students – Students enrolled in the hybrid learning option should order meals through their classroom teacher during in-person instruction days and to receive meals during remote instruction days complete the “Hybrid learning meal order form” located on the district website: Departments >> Food Service >> Coronavirus Meal Information.
- When the special federally funded meal waiver program ends, parents will be notified and student meal status will return to Paid, Free or Reduced rates based on qualifications and approved applications. Parents are strongly encouraged to continue to return the regular National School Lunch Program free and reduced meal applications as soon as possible to avoid any gap in benefits when the special school meal funding ends. We remain committed to providing students access to healthy, nutritious and wholesome meals while assuring the utmost food safety without compromising quality.
- Virtual College/Military Visits
The following virtual college visits are available to any 11th and 12th grade student:
|Penn State University||October 19 @ 12:00pm|
|Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP)||October 20 @ 12:00pm|
|Misericordia University||October 20 @ 1:00pm|
|Albright College||October 21 @ 12:00pm|
|Ursinus College||October 21 @ 1:00pm|
|St. Luke’s School of Nursing||October 22 @ 12:15pm|
|Lycoming College||October 22 @ 1:00pm|
|Kutztown University||October 23 @ 10:00am|
Sign up for any of these virtual college visits must be done through Naviance.