Parent/Community FAQs (Elementary Schools)
- What students will be receiving devices? All K-5 students will utilize a 6th or 7th generation iPad that will be used in school or at home during the 2020-2021 school year. All devices will be distributed during the first week of school.
- Will my child be allowed to take their device home every day? During the 2020-2021 school year, all EPSD students will be able to take home a district-issued device.
- Will parents need to buy insurance for student devices? No.
- What happens if an individual device is damaged?
- Ownership of the district-issued devices (Chromebooks, iPads, or laptops) rests with the East Penn School District and is only to be used by the student the device has been issued to; students will not share it with others, including family members. Students will follow the guidelines set forth in EPSD Policy 815, the Acceptable Use of Technology Resources, Electronic Communication and Information Systems.
- Students are to return district-owned devices and accessories upon withdrawal from the district or upon graduation. Third party accessories will not be accepted; replacement chargers can be purchased at the student’s school.
- It is the responsibility of the student to keep the assigned device and accessories secure and protected at all times. Methods to protect the device include:
- keeping drinks, food, and other harmful materials away from the device.
- keeping the device out of extreme temperatures.
- never leaving the device unattended and susceptible to theft.
- Financial restitution may be sought for negligent or intentional damage. Negligent damage may include loss or misuse of accessories (charger), spilling a drink on the device causing it to malfunction, or exposing it to extreme temperatures. Students are not to place stickers on their devices, the cover, or to remove the asset tag from the device; doing so is the equivalent of destroying school property and may result in school consequences. Intentional damage will be determined by the building administration, and an invoice will be issued for the damage.
- If a device is reported lost, stolen or missing, the following actions will be taken to recover the device:
- The student should report the device missing to a staff member at their assigned school who will then notify the Technology Department.
- Geo-location services on the device may be activated, and the device may be placed in lost mode or disabled to prevent others from using the device.
- Does the district block access to inappropriate websites? Yes. IPads will be filtered in the district. The Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA) requires that school devices be filtered to protect students from inappropriate online content. Specifically, CIPA uses the federal criminal definitions for obscenity and child pornography. Keep in mind that no blocking technology is 100% effective. The best filter is adult guidance. We encourage all adults to talk with kids about their online activities and behaviors.
- Will a consistent app package be chosen?
For a comprehensive list of possible applications please refer to: https://www.eastpennsd.org/technology/edservices
- How much time will students spend on the device each day?
The device is a tool to enhance teaching and learning. Therefore, the balance of device use will vary by subject and learning activities. At times, your child may use technology heavily, but there will be other times when your child will not use the device as frequently.
- What training and resources will be available to students, staff and parents? Our focus in East Penn is on high quality instruction enhanced through the meaningful integration of technology. We continue to provide professional development to teachers on effective technology integration. In addition, we are fortunate to have two Technology Integration Specialists to support teachers with this integration process. Upper Elementary Students who receive devices for 2018-2019 will receive a lesson from the Technology Integration team. Additionally both Technology Integration Specialists will cycle through all classrooms K-5 supporting and assisting teachers as needed.
- Who should I contact if I have questions about EPSD Connects?
You may contact building administration with any questions or concerns.