August 12, 2020
Dear East Penn Middle School Families:
As we prepare to open our schools on August 31st, we share this communication to highlight key points regarding our middle schools.
- Middle School Orientation for our incoming 6th grade students will be held virtually.
- Videos from teachers, teams, and the administrators will be posted on our LMMS website on Monday, August 17th.
- Specific student schedules for hybrid and fully remote students will be mailed home the week of August 10th. All hybrid and remote students will be taught by our LMMS teachers and follow their normal team/individual schedules.
- VEsPA students, who will be taught through out-of-district vendor programs, can look for schedules and communication to come from a district VEsPA coordinator.
- Students attending our school buildings in the hybrid instructional model will be separated into cohorts using their last name. The same alphabetical cohorts are in place for all East Penn K – 12 students.
- Students whose last names begin with letters A – K will attend in person instruction in our school buildings every Monday, Tuesday and alternating Wednesdays. When not in the school building, students will participate in at-home learning activities and assignments.
- Students whose last names begin with letters L – Z will attend in person instruction in our school buildings every Thursday, Friday and alternating Wednesdays. When not in the school building, students will participate in at-home learning activities and assignments.
- Please visit our LMMS website to find a calendar of specific days that hybrid A/B students are expected to be in school.
- The following will be in place in all middle school buildings:
- The student day is 7:25 AM – 1:15 PM.
- First week of school for students:
- Students will be dismissed at 11:00 AM on August 31st, September 1st, September 2nd and September 3rd.
- Hybrid A students, whose last names begin with letters A-K, will attend only on Monday, August 31st and Tuesday, September 1st from 7:25-11:00 AM.
- Hybrid B students, whose last names begin with letters L-Z, will attend only on Wednesday, September 2nd and Thursday, September 3rd from 7:25-11:00 AM.
- Approximately 15 students will be in a classroom at one time.
- All desks will be facing the same direction, and students will be separated by 6 feet social distance.
- Students must have a mask on from the time they arrive at their bus stop or before they exit a drop off vehicle, to the time students leave their bus stop or are inside a pick- up vehicle.
- Students must wear masks at all times in school.
- Students will be able to receive a mask break when:
- Given teacher permission
- At least 6 ft social distancing
- While eating lunch
- Students will eat lunch in the cafeteria as well as both LGI rooms located directly across from the cafeteria. Students will be socially distanced by 6 feet and will all be facing the same direction while eating.
- Students should bring a water bottle to school every day. Water fountains will not be available; however, we are looking into adding water-filling stations in the near future.
- Students will be transitioning to classrooms throughout the day and all staff members will be supporting hallway travel to ensure social distancing and mask compliance.
- Sharing of equipment and classroom materials will be minimized as much as possible.
- LMMS has a running FAQ page on our LMMS website to hopefully answer some of the questions that you might have at this time. On the FAQ page, there is a place for you to submit any questions that you still have that may not have been answered. Of course, always feel free to reach out to us at 610-395-8593 if we can be of assistance.
While this may be an unprecedented year, we strive to provide high quality instruction, supportive and welcoming schools and classrooms, and a commitment to helping each student grow and learn in a safe and healthy environment.
Sallie Yencho – Principal, Lower Macungie Middle School