Dear East Penn Community,
I sincerely hope that the summer provided you with an opportunity to relax and recharge yourself after what was a remarkable school year. I recognize that as a local community, as a state, and as a nation, we continue to navigate through difficult challenges. As individuals, we all have unique and valid perspectives. However, as a school community we share one thing in common: we are all united in our commitment to serving the students who will walk into our buildings and classrooms this year.
For many students throughout the district, August 30th will be their first day physically back in our classrooms since March of 2020. My hope is that through our focus on restoring and rebuilding relationships with students and each other, our schools will be THE place where everyone feels challenged to learn, valued for their unique talents, and supported in their growth process. Throughout the year, we will maintain our focus on the following priorities:
- Health & Safety- In July 2021, the EPSD School Board approved the Health & Safety Plan. This comprehensive plan identifies the strategies that will be implemented to mitigate the risk of spread of COVID-19 in our schools. We continually monitor local data, including level of community transmission, active cases, and vaccination opportunities to guide our decision making regarding the mitigation strategies.
- High quality instruction- The return to consistent, in-person instruction means that all of our students will have access to high quality instructional practices, such as small group instruction, targeted interventions, hands-on learning, and project based learning.
- Social and emotional learning (SEL)– Last spring, we administered an SEL survey to our students. The District SEL Committee will use the data to select an SEL program that best meets the needs of our students.
- Equity– We remain committed to our belief that all students, regardless of race, culture, educational label, gender, sexual orientation, or background deserve a learning environment that is responsive to their lived experiences. We are completing a comprehensive equity audit and will continue to engage in professional development that will focus on our ability to effectively engage in conversations around diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Relationships– For any of the previously mentioned priorities to be achieved, we must have authentic, respectful, and positive relationships. Let us be kind to each other.
On behalf of the East Penn administrative team, welcome back to the 2021-2022 school year! We appreciate your commitment to working together in making this a fantastic year for our students.
Kristen Campbell, Ed.D.
Kristen Campbell, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools
Superintendent’s Objective Performance Standards
(PA Leadership Standards)
- The leader promotes personalized student success by thinking and planning strategically to create and sustain an organizational vision of learning that is shared and supported by the school community.
- The leader promotes personalized student success by advocating, nurturing and sustaining a school culture and instructional program conducive to student learning.
- The leader promotes personalized student success by ensuring management of the resources for a safe, efficient and effective learning environment.
- The leader promotes personalized student success by collaborating, communicating, engaging and empowering others inside and outside of the organization to pursue excellence in learning.
The Superintendent has met the above Objective Performance Standards for the 2020-2021 school year.
September 17, 2021
Board Secretary & Executive Assistant to the Superintendent
Phone Number: (610) 966-8333