Finding out that your child has head lice can elicit a whole range of reactions in a parent or caregiver.
Head Lice Facts
- What are Head Lice?
- Head lice are a common problem in school age children.
- Head lice do not pose a danger to your child’s health.
Treatment Guidelines for Head Lice
- General Guidelines for Treatment.
- Inform the parents of children your child has been in close contact with in order to help prevent further spread.
- Your child must be treated for head lice before returning to school.
- Before your child may re-enter school, proof of treatment (empty lice shampoo container or box) must be presented to a member of the Health Room staff.
- Your child’s head will be examined by a health room nurse while you are present.
- You will have the opportunity to ask questions or present concerns. The nurse is there to assist you.
*It is important to examine your child’s head every day until all nits have been removed and no new nits are found!