Family and consumer sciences education empowers individuals and families across the life span to manage the challenges of living and working in a diverse, global society. Our unique focus is on families, work, and their interrelationships.
The mission of family and consumer sciences education is to prepare students for family life, work life, and careers in family and consumer sciences by providing opportunities to develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviors needed for:
- Balancing personal, home, family and work lives.
- Promoting optimal nutrition and wellness across the life span.
- Successful life management, employment, and career development.
- Functioning effectively as providers and consumers of goods and services.
- Managing resources to meet the material needs of individuals and families.
- Strengthening the well-being of individuals and families across the life span.
- Becoming responsible citizens and leaders in family, community, and work settings.
- Appreciating human worth and accepting responsibility for one’s actions and success in family and work life.
- Using critical and creative thinking skills to address problems in diverse family, community, and work environments.
Please see the Program of Studies for more detailed course information. Click here for the Family and Consumer Science curriculum.