Please note: Parents are no longer permitted to phone in excuses for student absences or written notes for student absences. ONLY EHS EXCUSE BLANKS WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR EXCUSES RELATED TO ABSENCE, LATENESS TO SCHOOL, AND/OR EARLY DISMISSAL.
- All students must submit physical EHS Excuse Blanks to their grade level assistant principal’s office. Students may also scan and email an excuse blank in a PDF file to EHSAttendance@eastpennsd.org, or fax and excuse blank to the main office within three (3) school days of an absence. The attendance fax number is 484-519-3932. No phone excuses will be accepted. Failure to return a proper excuse for legitimate reasons within the required time will result in the absences to be viewed as unexcused/illegal absences. Illegal/unlawful absences may result in fines from the magistrate. They will also result in receiving no credit for work that was missed and no make-up privileges for the classes missed on the day(s) of absence. An excuse from a Doctor is also accepted.
- EHS Excuse Blanks may be deposited in the excuse blank box in the Main Office in the event that you are unable to submit it to your grade level assistant principal because their office is closed. Excuses will be date stamped and posted twice daily. REMINDER: NO PASSES WILL BE GIVEN TO HOMEROOM OR CLASS WHEN DROPPING OFF AN EXCUSE BLANK TO EITHER YOUR GRADE LEVEL ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL OR MAIN OFFICE.
- Legitimate reasons for an excused absences include:
- Personal illness
- Death in the family or serious illness in the family
- Observance of religious holidays of the pupil’s own faith
- School-related field trips or educational activities pre-approved by the district and/or building administration
- Special circumstances such as a court summons, doctors’ appointments, or other emergencies that the school principal deems appropriate.
- Students who arrive late to school must sign in at the Main Office. When a student is late to school for legitimate reasons, he/she must have a signed EHS Excuse Blank from a parent/guardian and submit it to attendance staff in the main office upon arrival, scan and email a PDF a signed excuse by a parent/guardian to EHSAttendance@eastpennsd.org, or fax a signed excuse blank from a parent/guardian to the attendance fax number at (484) 519-3932 within three (3) school days of said late to school. Failure to return an excuse within the proper time will be handled as per the student discipline code regarding unexcused/illegal absences. Illegal / unlawful absence may result in fines from the magistrate. An excuse from a Doctor is also accepted.
- Legitimate reasons for excused tardiness to school include:
- Tardiness due to late transportation provided by the school, or other school related actions which will be considered excused and not recorded against the pupil’s tardy record
- Medical appointments with doctors, dentists, or other medical staff, if accompanied by a note on medical office letterhead stationery
- Illness of the pupil, if accompanied by a valid parental excuse blank.
- Special circumstances such as a court summons or other emergencies that the school principal deems appropriate.
- No telephone calls for early dismissals. A parent may report to the main office for students who do not have a written excuse blank. All students requesting an early dismissal from school must bring an EHS Excuse Blank, with a valid reason, signed by the parent requesting the early dismissal. The EHS Excuse Blank must be brought to the main office before 7:23 a.m. the day of dismissal. STUDENT’S NAME, ID NUMBER, DATE, GRADE AND REASON FOR THE EARLY DISMISSAL MUST BE ON THE EXCUSE BLANK. Early dismissal excuse blanks without a reason will be recorded as UNLAWFUL/UNEXCUSED. Requesting an early dismissal will not be a reason to be late to homeroom. An excuse from a Doctor is also accepted.
- Students who arrive late or get picked up for an appointment should be dropped off or picked up at the main office entrance. PARENTS DROPPING OFF OR PICKING UP SHOULD DO SO BY TEMPORARILY PARKING ON MACUNGIE AVENUE AND HAVING THEIR CHILD WALK UP OR DOWN THE HILL TO AND FROM THE ENTRANCE UNLESS THERE IS A SPECIAL NEED.