The intrinsic value of music instruction lies in its unique contexts for developing critical and creative thinking skills and self-expression and problem-solving aptitude. The goals of the music curriculum are as follows:
- The music curriculum will offer a well-planned sequence of learning experiences leading to clearly defined skills and knowledge.
- The music studies will reflect the multi-musical diversity of America’s pluralistic culture.
- The curriculum for every student will include improvisation and composition.
- Tasks that emphasize problem-solving and higher order thinking skills will be given to every student.
- The music curriculum will maintain its integrity, and will emphasize relationships among the arts and between the arts and other disciplines.
- The curriculum will utilize current technology to individualize and expand music learning.
- Authentic assessment, based on specific objectives taken from the skills, knowledge, and understandings designated in the curriculum, will be utilized for all students.
Please see the Program of Studies for more detailed course information. Click here for the Music curriculum.