Each eighth, ninth, tenth and eleventh grade student will receive a Program of Studies and can also access the Program of Studies on the EHS website. The program is the result of meetings with teachers, counselors, department chairpersons, administrators, parents, the Superintendent and the Board of School Directors. The Program of Studies describes each course offered in the high school. Please take some time to become familiar with our course offerings.
In early January and late February, students will discuss next year’s course selections with their subject teachers. All teachers will use the knowledge they have gained having your child in class to assist him/her in choosing an appropriate course for next year which best suits his/her abilities and aspirations. Your child will turn in the form which will then be reviewed by his/her counselor. This process will provide a basis for the final course selection.
During the second semester, each student will finalize his or her course selections for next year. Occasionally, the teacher’s recommendation will not match your or your child’s selection. You are encouraged to contact the teacher if you have questions regarding your child’s course recommendations for that subject area or your child’s counselor for general questions regarding course registration.
*Please note that students must register for a minimum of 5.25 credits. Every student is required to take English, Social Studies, and Wellness/Fitness each year.
Once final selections are made, all the course requests are tallied. The number of sections of a particular course and teachers’ assignments are determined by the students’ course requests. Although every effort is made to accommodate students’ requests, some cannot be honored. Because of the implications a few changes can have on the entire schedule, it is very important that each student’s selections be made very carefully.
If the selections have been carefully made, changes should not be necessary, except in very unusual situations. If you would like to request a change, please send the request in writing to your student’s counselor before June 20, 2018. A change is much more likely to occur while the schedules are still being developed. Once the schedules are developed, a change request is highly unlikely to be implemented. We will never be unreceptive to extenuating circumstances, but a change merely for convenience is not in the best interest of good school organization.
For more information on courses and scheduling, please refer to the Program of Studies.
When completing the pre-registration form for next year’s courses, please check the following requirements:
- Students MUST take a MINIMUM of FIVE FULL-YEAR COURSES (2 semester courses could equal one full-year course), plus a Wellness/Fitness course.
- Students MUST have current teachers initial your course selections for next year.
- Students MUST register for an ENGLISH course, a SOCIAL STUDIES course, and a WELLNESS/FITNESS course.
- If a student has not successfully completed a course in HEALTH or DRIVER EDUCATION at the end of the current year, he/she SHOULD register for HEALTH and/or DRIVER EDUCATION.
- If a student has not successfully completed THREE COURSES in MATH at the end of the current year, he/she SHOULD register for a MATH course.
- If a student has not successfully completed THREE COURSES in SCIENCE at the end of the current year, he/she SHOULD register for a SCIENCE course.
- If you have not successfully completed a FAMILY & CONSUMER SCIENCE COURSE, you SHOULD register for a FAMILY & CONSUMER SCIENCE COURSE
- If you have not successfully completed a COMPUTER APPLICATIONS COURSE, you SHOULD register for a COMPUTER APPLICATIONS COURSE. See Graduation Requirements page for a list of possible courses to complete this requirement.
- PLEASE CONSIDER ALTERNATE SELECTIONS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PRE-REGISTRATION FORM. PROVIDE SOME POSSIBLE ALTERNATE COURSES IN CASE YOUR FIRST CHOICE(S) CANNOT BE SCHEDULED.
Be sure you have written the CORRECT COURSE CODE for all classes you select on the appropriate line. Incorrect code numbers will cause an error in your schedule.
As changes are made to student requests through this process, the updates can be viewed through Home Access Center. In late May or early June, you will receive a course verification sheet listing your courses. You and your parents may make changes to your selections until June 20. After that date, you will not be allowed to make changes in your selections for any reason. PLEASE CONSIDER YOUR SELECTIONS WISELY.