We are excited to announce the upcoming facility renovations for Macungie Elementary School. These renovations are included in the Capital Plan for 2023-2024 and have been approved with a project cost of $4,432,060.
On January 9th, the East Penn School Board finalized a Performance Based Energy Savings Agreement between McClure Company and the East Penn School District. This agreement provides for various facility upgrades/replacements, including HVAC and lighting at Macungie Elementary School. The Government Energy Saving Act (GESA) project delivery method allows us to use an energy conservation approach for addressing these facility needs, as the upgrades will help to achieve reductions in energy consumption or demand at Macungie Elementary School.
Macungie Elementary has a building area of approximately 68,774 sq. ft. with a total annual utility cost of $60,309 for the period of 7/01/21 – 6/30/22. Based on a conservative annual escalation rate of 3%, the energy conservation measures over the next 20 years are expected to save on average $24,650 per year.
While the energy savings are one reason this project is being completed, more importantly it will address the following concerns:
- Installation of new HVAC equipment throughout the facility(which will greatly improve the indoor environment)
- Installation of LED lighting throughout the facility with dimmable lighting in the classrooms
- Installation of new clocks with an integrated messaging center, a new public address system, and increased perimeter security measures by adding card access at various entrances that do not currently have this
- Installation of HDMI cables from the classroom projectors to wall plates in appropriate locations
- Removal of chalkboards and antiquated smart boards which will be replaced with white boards
- Additional items that will be addressed include maintenance and repair of the folding classroom partition walls and some minor alteration to the wall mounted gymnasium equipment
The District anticipates the Macungie Elementary improvements being completed by Summer 2023. Moving forward, other energy conservation measures throughout the district will be evaluated. These measures range from LED lighting to the possibility of a solar farm on district property.